Start 2017 off with saving three lives. You heard me right! Three lives can be saved just by one simple blood donation. The month of January is national blood donor month. By simply putting aside 15 minutes this month to donate, you can help save lives all over the United States.
Your Donation Is Needed
I’m sure you have seen people walking around with a bandage on their arm from giving blood. You might think to yourself, I see people giving blood all the time so they probably have enough. Hopefully I can change your mind with some facts from the American Red Cross.
- 1 pint of blood is given during a donation.
- Every 2 seconds someone in the United States needs blood.
- The blood type that is most requested in hospitals is type O, because this type can be transfused to patients of all blood types.
- An estimated 90,000 to 100,000 people around the U.S. have sickle cell disease. These patients can require frequent blood transfusions throughout their lives.
- A single car accident victim can require as many as 100 pints of blood.
- Roughly 38% of the population is eligible to give blood and 10% of that actually gives blood each year.
You Are My Type
If you don’t know what type of blood you have, it doesn’t matter! They do extensive testing to make sure they know the exact type of blood you have, so it can be matched with the right patient. There are four major blood groups. They are determined based on the antigens that are present or not present in the blood. The four major blood groups are:
- Group A: has the presence of A antigens on the red cells and B antibodies in the plasma.
- Group B: has the presence of B antigens on red cells and A antibodies in the plasma.
- Group AB: has both A and B antigens on red cells and neither A nor B antibodies in the plasma.
- Group O: has neither A nor B antigens on the red cells but has both A and B antibodies in the plasma.
I Am Unable To Give Blood
There are many regulations on being eligible to give blood and if for some reason you aren’t able to, we still have a way you can make a difference. There are many veterans young and old that need our help. If you have a vehicle that no longer runs or you don’t need, you can donate it to Vehicles For Veterans helping disabled veterans and other veterans programs.
Our donation process is fast and easy. All you have to do is call us at 1-855-811-4838 or fill out our online donation form. If you fill out our online donation form, you will receive a call within 24 hours from one of our expert representatives. They will find out the best time to pick up your vehicle and answer any questions that you might have.
Help make a difference in a veteran’s life today with your car donation!