Wounded Veterans Polo Benefit
Looking for a fun event to go to with the family this August? This event benefiting wounded veterans at the Wine Country Polo Club (560 White Oak Drive, Santa Rosa, Calif.) is one you won’t want to miss. You will be able to watch this historic sport and help veterans at the same time!
Fun Facts About Polo
- Horses in Polo are often called ponies, but they are not actual ponies–they are horses bred for polo; a cross between a quarter horse and a thoroughbred.
- The sport of Polo was invented over 2,500 years ago. It was originally used as a cavalry training exercise.
- If you don’t know what the term “chukker” means in a polo match, you might think someone is throwing something but polo is divided into periods called chukkers.
- Polo ponies are run the equivalent of two miles every seven and a half minute chukker. So ideally a polo player will have a fresh horse every period.
- You might see people out in the field stopping around during half time. This tradition is to fill in the divots that are kicked up by the horses.
- To start the game the umpire tosses the ball between the two teams; this is called a throw-in.
- There are only four players on a team.
About The Event
The 2016 wounded veteran’s polo event is the 6th annual polo match for wounded veterans. You will be able to watch the game, enjoy fine dining, a great selection of wine and many different kinds of entertainment. The gates open at 10:30 a.m. with a carriage driving display at 11. The opening ceremony and the posting of the colors starts at 11:30.
Event Day Highlights
- You will get to enjoy two amazing polo games live.
- Experience a spectacular wine tasting from Bay Area wineries.
- Bid on some great items in the silent auction.
- Listen to The Young Americans Patriots Fife and Drum Corps.
- Watch the chandon–known as the divot stomp.
- Enjoy the ladies’ best hat contest.
Want To Attend The Fun Filled Event?
- Premium seating: gourmet lunch with wine included.
- General admission: lawn seating. You can bring a picnic or buy food at the BBQ.
Want To Help Veterans?
If horses just aren’t your thing or you can’t make the event, there is still a way you can help. If you have an unused car, and you don’t know what to do with it you can donate it to Vehicles For Veterans. We are a nonprofit vehicle donation program that benefits veteran charities. Your donation is fully tax deductible. We make the donation process fast and easy! All you have to do is call 1-855-811-4838 or fill out the online donation form. What are you waiting for? Free up some space and donate your car today!