This week is National Suicide Prevention week. This is a great time to sit down with loved ones and talk about the signs, prevention and what you can do to help. Veterans are at a higher risk of suicide. In 2013, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs released a study that covered suicides from 1999 to 2010. This study showed that roughly 22 veterans commit suicide every day--about one every 65 minutes.
These indicators might show that the person is in danger and may urgently need help, so beware if you notice any of these and find help right away:
- Talking about wanting to die or killing oneself
- Looking for ways to kill oneself
- Talking about feeling hopeless or having no purpose
- Talking about feeling trapped
- Talking about being a burden to others
- Increased use of alcohol and drugs
- Acting anxious or reckless
- Sleeping too little or too much
- Showing rage or talking about seeking revenge
- Showing obsession in death
- Displaying extreme mood swings
If you or someone you know starts to display these seek help right away.
Help Prevent Suicide
There are many different ways you can help prevent suicide; here are just a few.
- If you or anyone you know is worried about the thoughts or feelings, make sure to reach out for help.
- It is important to notice signs of depression and meet with a health professional early to go over the right treatment plan.
- The media should be intelligent when reporting on suicide so that vulnerable people don’t get inspired to copy the acts.
- Make sure to keep items that would cause harm are stored in a locked, safe place.
- Post the 2016 Suicide Prevention Week Graphic as you profile picture.
- Learn the warning signs and risk factors for suicide.
- Host a suicide prevention awareness event.
- If you are a school professional, get certified.
What You Can Do During National Suicide Prevention Week
How You Can Help Veterans
If you want to help veterans more than this week you can donate you unused vehicle to Vehicles For Veterans. We are a nonprofit car donation program that benefits veteran’s charities. The donation is fast, easy and hassle free. All you have to do is call 1-855-811-4838 or fill out our online donation form. We will call you to find the best time to pick up your vehicle free of charge. Make an impact today and donate your vehicle!